looking for ideas for a ranged healer build

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Gijo
(@gijo)
Noble Member Admin
Topic starter

Maybe an AA elf cleric with paralyzing arrows and radiant healing?

Or a cleric/ranger

Basically looking for some CC and healing ability that fits my play style.  Or a melee based cleric, but no monk levels.  I do not like monk.

Any suggestions?

Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 4:09 pm
(@guildadmin)
Reputable Member Admin

These kind of builds make great support characters, but there's a lot of different ways to make one. Paralyzing arrows and +1 enchantment DCs you get from terror, banishing, paralyzing, and smiting arrows has great synergy with cleric's few but useful enchantment spells (command, greater command, symbol of persuasion, and symbol of stunning). I'm just going to throw out some ideas to see what you are interested in.

The first thing to note is that it costs 14 AP just to unlock the elf AA tree. That's not a bad thing, though, considering that the elf tree also has good synergy with this kind of a build (+1 enchantment DC, +3 spell pen, weapon training, dex to damage with a bow). Morninglord is also a good choice which has great synergy with cleric for obvious reasons, but they do not specialize in bows, so you can't get dex to damage unless you splash 2 levels of ranger and take improved weapon finesse from deepwood stalker. Of course, you can also stick with str for damage and take divine might from warpriest. Half-elf is also an option.

It's only 22 AP for paralyzing arrows. Clerics are not AP starved, so you can certainly afford that. If you want a fully heal specced cleric that also CCs with paralyzing arrows, then you could easily go 20 elf cleric, take tier 5s and the capstone in radiant servant, unlock the elf AA tree for 14 AP, and pick up paralyzing arrows for another 22, leaving 3 AP to spend how you want. You'd have solid healing and CC, but not such great dps.

If you want to do dps and not just CC with the bow, then you'll want to improve the crit range and/or multiplier. The 5th AA core, shadow arrows, offers +1 crit multiplier and 5% doubleshot, while the capstone gives another 20% doubleshot. And of course there's arrow of slaying but I'm not sure that's really worth it unless you'll be running in fury of the wild. The other AA tier 5s don't seem that spectacular in my opinion. The most likely sources for +1 crit range are keen edge from kensai tier 5 and deepwood stalker's level 12 core. The deepwood stalker core is probably out because you would be more of a ranger at that point than a cleric. If you splash 5 fighter for keen edge, then you might as well go 6 fighter for the 3rd core which gives +1 crit multiplier. Splashing 5-6 fighter for keen edge and using the elf AA tree is an option but also eats up a bare minimum of 67 AP. That's not bad if you don't mind relying solely on spells for healing. You'd have some solid dps, CC, and great healing.

Finally, you could simply splash 4-5 ranger (depending on whether you want AA or deepwood stalker tier 5s or not). This will give you some free feats and save you some AP so you can spend more in the cleric trees if you want.

Another thing worth mentioning is that doubleshot is great on a build that uses paralyzing arrows. The more shots fired, the more chances you have to land your CC. So the AA capstone is certianly worth considering, but also difficult to get to if you do not plan on taking the tier 5s.

I hope that at least gives you some things to think about. There are a lot of different ways to go and it really depends on what you want the build to do.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the most obvious reason to splash 6 ranger, free manyshot. Also, I'm pretty sure Hartosong (Sgt_Hart on the main forums, I think) had a radiant AA build. You could try getting in touch with him for feedback from someone who has actually played one.

Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 7:05 pm
Share: